Video Footage Shows Moment Holiday Maker Suffers Neck Injuries after Teenager Dive on his Head in Hotel Pool
A shocked wife filmed the exact moment her husband suffered neck injuries after a young holiday maker appears to dive bomb on his head as he exits a water flume.
Graham Hyde, 44, spent a week in a neck brace after he suffered trauma to two major muscles in his upper back and neck.
The business owner had booked a last minute holiday to celebrate his wedding anniversary with wife, Joanne, 39, and daughter Grace, eight, when he was crushed by ‘a 15 stone lad’ in the swimming pool in the Alegria Pineda Splash Hotel in Pineda de Mar in Barcelona, Spain.
The painful moment was caught on his wives’ phone as she watched from the poolside just hours into their celebration trip on June 3, 2017.
After visiting a Spanish hospital, Graham was diagnosed with ‘cervical neck concussion’ following pain in his subscapularis, large muscle located under the shoulder-joint and the trapezius muscle, one of the major muscles used for moving, rotating and extending the head at the neck.
Graham, who still suffers with pain and stiffness despite having physiotherapy, says: “I saw something massive coming towards me and only realised later that it was a young lad and he literally landed with his backside on my head.
“I heard a massive crunch and can honestly say I thought my neck had snapped.
“The impact had such force, I was rotated 360 degrees underwater.”
After struggling to get out of the water, life guard’s placed deep heat spray and ice packs on Graham’s neck.
Shortly after the business owner from Worcestershire, went into shock.
He said: “They sprayed deep heat on my neck and then placed ice packs on it but of course the combination burnt my skin.
“Then the pain really started to take hold and I was shaking like a leaf.
“I felt sick and like my neck was on fire.
“Everything went tight and rigid. I couldn’t lift my arms up and any sort of movement hurt my neck.”
Although hotel staff called for an ambulance for Graham, he was forced to pay for a separate taxi for his wife and daughter to follow.
Graham adds: “I spent two agonising hours waiting for X-rays and treatment.
“It was quite scary as my toes and fingers were tingling and I had no real idea of what damage had been done.
“To make matters even worse we then had to find our own way back to the hotel during a taxi strike. I spent a least an hour stumbling around in a neck brace, in the boiling heat and in horrible pain.”
Graham, who used to ride on average ten miles a day on his bike before the incident, has since launched legal action against the holiday company, Jet2holidays.
Jet2holidays solicitors, Plexus Law confirmed they are investigating the incident.
Specialist personal injury lawyer, Magdalena Knez, says: “Although this was an accident and Graham places no blame on the young man involved in the incident, the question is why there appears to have been no signs or barriers in place to section off the area where guests exit the water slide.
“Graham has been left with ongoing neck pain after spending just a few hours on a family holiday and has since been ignored by the holiday company.”
Graham added: “It’s been months since the holiday but my neck still regularly freezes if I don’t keep it mobile and then the pain can last for hours.
“Our holiday was completely ruined and we have been ignored by the company ever since. It’s not much to ask for some form of response or apology.”